Review of the Defence and Industrial Complex Is Conducted for the First Time over the Years of Ukrainian Independence
In 2020, the Ministry for Development of Economy, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine conducted a survey of the national defence and industrial complex. The main purpose of the work is to objectively assess the capabilities of the defence and industrial complex to meet the needs of the security and defence sector in armaments, ammunition, military and special equipment taking into account the current military and political threats.
The results of the survey gave the following capabilities:
- to analyze the quality of the command and control system of the defence and industrial complex and the effectiveness of interaction between state government bodies within the implementation of military-industrial policy;
- to objectively assess the current state of defence enterprises, their production capacity and export potential;
- to assess the effectiveness of cooperation between the public and private sectors of the defence industry;
- to determine the main directions of reforming the defence and industrial complex, which will be the basis for strategic and programme documents;
- to prepare recommendations for the implementation of priority measures in the course of reforming the defence and industrial complex.
“Despite a number of problematic issues in the defence and industrial complex, its current state meets the basis needs of the security and defence sector of Ukraine in accordance with contemporary challenges and threats. The scientific and production potential of the defence and industrial complex allows, with appropriate funding and cooperation with partner countries, to develop and ensure the production of modern weapons and military equipment,” Deputy Minister for Development of Economy, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine Svitlana Panaiotidi said.